James Scott 1890-1935

James Scott

James Scott 1902

James Scott

Captain James Scott

The 'Jeely Scott Monument' was drawn by James Scott when he was a boy. James was the youngest grandson of Robert Scott, one of the founders of Scott's Jam Works. During the war James was a Captain in the 7th Royal Scots, he survived a bullet to the head at Gallipoli. After the war he took his place as a director in the family business, he was also once manager of the Trustee Savings Bank and one of the founders of the Carluke Operatic Society.


Scott's Jam


James died of pneumonia in 1935. This letter was written by his sister Jessy just after his death.


Fairyknowe, Carluke. December 2nd 1935.

My dear old Alec,

JamesI don't know how to tell you and I wish I could soften the blow in some way. Jamie died on Sunday morning about six o'clock. We are all stunned and heartbroken. Dr McLean was called in on Wednesday after Jamie had had a bad rigor. He sounded him in the evening and found some rough sounds - not bad - but next morning pneumonia had developed definitely. Dr McLean brought down Robert Marshall to see Jamie and Robert phoned to us on Thursday evening. Father and I had just got home from the south the day before. We came through here on Friday morning and found Jamie much worse than we had been led to expect – Robert had tried not to alarm father. Jamie had a bad night on Friday, restless, vomiting frequently, and breathing quickly with difficulty. He couldn't get rid of the mucus in his throat. About 6 o'clock he seemed rather better and seemed easier till the afternoon, asked to have his face and hands washed and looked at the pictures in the Bulletin. Later he wasn't so well, and about 2 o'clock there was a decided change for the worse till about 6 o'clock he turned on his side and died. Bob and I were with him. Bob came up on Friday evening. Father went back to his own bed at the Orchard every night.

A specialist from Edinburgh Dr Hewitt saw him twice took a very gloomy view of him the first time but was more hopeful next day. All agree that it was a particularly vicious infection. The poor boy was felled by it. I can't get his pathetic face out of my mind. He looked so boyish, eager to do anything that would make him better. He began to wander towards the end and about a few minutes before he died he begged me to get his shirt and socks. He was going to Bridge of Allan. I said it was much too early in the morning but he replied, 'No we'll be there by half-past eight just a nice time and will go to our beds.' Poor boy he was tired to death. Will miss him terribly and it is painful to be in this house that he had made so comfortable and tasteful. He had had a few friends in on Tuesday evening for Bridge and as I write I can see the flowers which were put in for the party.

Father is terribly cut-up. Nan says she has never seen him so grieved at any time. Though Jamie was so ill Father thought he would pull through and he couldn't believe his youngest had gone – always a loveable boy. It has meant something to us to find his friends in Carluke have loved him. He was very popular (how horrible to need to use the past tense.) He was tolerant and kind and enthusiastic in his interests, indeed a lovable boy.

And now our wee brother is being buried in the Carluke Churchyard on Wednesday, beside wee Willie and our grandfather. It is fitting that he should lie in Carluke where he belongs. He was just a visitor to Bridge of Allan. How we are going to go on without him I don't know. He brought so much ---- into our lives and we were so proud of him. He was so ornamental.

These are dark days and now that death has got him I am sorry I didn't do more for him. Will you excuse this scrawl, father wanted me to write. He will write himself when he has more heart for it.

Much love Jessy


James Scott